Saturday, July 28, 2007

Up from the deep...

Last Saturday afternoon I went down to Penzance and joined an excellent 2 hour boat trip run by Marine Discovery. Our RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) sped out across the sea following the coast westwards, past Porthcurno to Land's End. I was hoping that I might see a few Seals and Dolphins and, fingers crossed, maybe even a Basking Shark. The trip that ran earlier in the day had seen three of these big-mouthed plankton loving giants. The signs were good for a sighting...

We followed the shiny trails of plankton for as long as time would allow, but unfortunately the Sharks were nowhere to be seen. Maybe they had moved on, heading north with the gulf stream, or perhaps they were watching us pass from down below and having a good old laugh. We didn't see any Dolphins either, but every now and then curious Atlantic Grey Seals would stick their heads up out of the water to check us out.

As Gulls, Gannets and Shags flew and dived around us we did however encounter one amazing sea creature that I was chuffed to see; Here it is, close to the surface and next to the boat, turned on its side like a giant plate...


Off the South West Coast, Cornwall July 21st 2007

The picture isn't very clear I'm afraid and you might think it looks a bit like a Jellyfish, but it isn't. It's actually a Jellyfish eater. A true weird critter of the sea - an Ocean Sunfish.

This was an enjoyable and exciting ride, one I intend to repeat the next time I'm in the area. Just don't tell the Sharks I'm coming.

No comments: