Saturday, March 01, 2008

'A Chelsea suicide with no apparent motive'

I've been going a little stir crazy recently waiting to hear the result of a job interview, so I decided to take a trip. Doing my bit for global warming, I've flown over to New York and l'm now settled in at the infamous Hotel Chelsea. The hotel has an interesting history, Dylan wrote some songs here, Arthur C Clarke wrote '2001' and William Burroughs completed 'Naked Lunch'. Oh, and Sid murdered Nancy. It's an old, shabby looking place, mostly brown corridors, gloomy and pretty depressing - but it has character! So far l'm glad I'm staying here rather than at a boring 'chain' tourist or 'business' hotel. My room is quite large, there's the odd squeal and hiss from the heating system but that's OK. I just need to get used to the sickly yellow painted walls which could edge me into insanity over the next few days.

So what's my plan for today? Hmm, let's see... Brunch followed by a trip to New Jersey to visit 'Da Bing!'.

No comments: