Monday, August 18, 2008

Sequestered in Rough Trade

Tonight I caught The Hold Steady giving a free in-store performance at Rough Trade East, in the old Truman Brewery, Brick Lane, London.

As they began to play I was up against the right hand speaker - whoa!
It was painfully loud. Rather than stand there with my hands over my ears, I gave up what I'd thought was a prime position and moved round to the side. I was slightly behind the action with a restricted view, but I could enjoy the songs without my ears bleeding and my brain vibrating against my skull...


The band ran through a short sharp 11 song set to promote their new critically acclaimed album Stay Positive. For some reason I've not found the album to be the immediate knockout that Boys and Girls in America was. Up until tonight it has been slow to grow on me. However, hearing the new stuff live does make all the difference, and now I'm really looking forward to seeing The Hold Steady's next proper show in London @ The Roundhouse on October 8th. 'We Gotta Stay Positive'!

Yes there are 11 songs - it's not me who can't count
I managed to grab a tad (pun intended) of video with my little Sony, one of the quieter moments - it's just a shame I was on the wrong side for Tad's excellent guitar solo!

Lord, I'm Discouraged - The Hold Steady

Stuck Between Stations (end clip) - The Hold Steady

Setlist: Constructive Summer/Stuck Between Stations/Magazines/
Yeah Sapphire/One for the Cutters/Lord, I'm Discouraged/
Sequestered in Memphis/Navy Sheets/Joke About Jamaica/
Stay Positive/Slapped Actress


www.theholdsteady.com

No comments: