Sunday, January 18, 2009

'The Ram' vs 'Maniac Miner'

A good weekend to go to the flicks. What film to see? I had two in mind, The Wrestler - critically acclaimed and something I'd been looking forward to for a while, or the no doubt soon to be critically shat upon, remake of a really bad film, My Bloody Valentine 3D!!! Choices, choices, choices.

Friday night, and I just had time to catch a late show. Always being a bit perverse in my decision making, I decided to plump for the film that was sure to be bad, but bad in 3D!!! Despite being certain, guaranteed, trash, My Bloody Valentine 3D was sold out. I couldn't get a ticket and, slightly disappointed, went in to see The Wrestler instead.

Of course, I really wanted to see The Wrestler anyway and sat down in a near empty screen 2 with a tub of Chunky Munkey. Low budget, and shot in parts almost like a reality documentary, you get skilfully drawn into the life of fading Wrestler Randy 'The Ram' Robinson. Mickey Rourke was made for the title role. He brings the required physical and emotional character strengths and weaknesses to the screen with such perfection that it's hard to believe he's not the real thing. Equally impressive are the rest of the cast - Marisa Tomei as his aging stripper friend, and his fellow (actual) wrestlers, who provide a real sense of community in the film.

After Director Darren Aronofsky's expensive 'flop', the love it or hate it (I loved it) The Fountain, The Wrestler is on the surface a dramatic change in style. No special effects, just the blood and sweat of the ring. But it is similar in that it's a slowly paced, moving look at aging, loss and the threat of growing old alone. Give Mickey the Oscar now!



So why was the screening for My Bloody Valentine 3D full whilst just a handful of people watched The Wrestler? Why would anyone want to see a remake of one of the poorest 80's slasher movies over seeing an acclaimed award winning feature? Easy. The idea of seeing a scary 3D movie on a Friday night out is more appealing to most youngsters than watching a movie about a sad old wrestler. Going out to the movies is for me mostly about being entertained, having a laugh, enjoying a thrill, escaping from the real world. And that is why I too was drawn to My Bloody Valentine.

Saturday night. Back to the multiplex and another late show...

This time I'd managed to get my ticket for MBV in advance and was ready to take in the whole popcorn experience - well almost, have you seen the price of popcorn! £3.25 for a small bag!! Outrageous. Anyway, into the packed cinema. A good trailer for the upcoming Friday The 13th remake/re-imagining, an ad with some guy pulling a rat out of his mouth after taking fake 'Internet pills', the mandatory Orange Mobile ad and then it was time to put on the 3D glasses...

Well, what can I say? My Bloody Valentine 3D was good fun and better than I'd expected. The script and cast, including genre veteran Tom (Night of The Creeps) Atkins, were above par for an American stalk 'n' slash. And hey, what's not to like about a gas mask wearing Maniac Miner swinging his pick axe into people's heads? And into the audience too! Once you got used to it the 3D was quite impressive. I'd seen the excellent animated Monster House a couple of years ago that used this 'REAL D' 3D process, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it comes over in a live action film.

So who won the bout? 'The Ram' or 'The Maniac Miner'. Two totally different films. Two different experiences. The Wrestler will rightly be considered a classic piece of moving making, but MBV 3D gains points for entertainment value. The result is too close to call. A score draw. Perhaps there'll be a rematch? The Wrestler 2 vs My Bloody Valentine 2 3D! Coming soon to a theatre near you...

No comments: